An Introduction To Arithmetic Sorcery by Neo Muyanga
Cyclonopedia: Complicity with Anonymous Materials
Publication date: 2008
Cyclonopedia is theoretical-fiction novel by Iranian philosopher and writer Reza Negarestani. Hailed by novelists, philosophers and cinematographers, Negarestani’s work is the first horror and science fiction book coming from and written on the Middle East.
‘The Middle East is a sentient entity—it is alive!’ concludes renegade Iranian archaeologist Dr. Hamid Parsani, before disappearing under mysterious circumstances. The disordered notes he leaves behind testify to an increasingly deranged preoccupation with oil as the ‘lubricant’ of historical and political narratives.
At once a horror fiction, a work of speculative theology, an atlas of demonology, a political samizdat and a philosophic grimoire, CYCLONOPEDIA is work of theory-fiction on the Middle East, where horror is restlessly heaped upon horror. Reza Negarestani bridges the appalling vistas of contemporary world politics and the War on Terror with the archaeologies of the Middle East and the natural history of the Earth itself. CYCLONOPEDIA is a middle-eastern Odyssey, populated by archeologists, jihadis, oil smugglers, Delta Force officers, heresiarchs, corpses of ancient gods and other puppets. The journey to the Underworld begins with petroleum basins and the rotting Sun, continuing along the tentacled pipelines of oil, and at last unfolding in the desert, where monotheism meets the Earth’s tarry dreams of insurrection against the Sun.
‘Incomparable. Post-genre horror, apocalypse theology and the philosophy of oil, crossbred into a new and necessary codex.’ (China Miéville, author of Perdido Street Station and The Scar)
‘Reading Negarestani is like being converted to Islam by Salvador Dali.’ (Graham Harman, author of Guerrilla Metaphysics: Phenomenology and the Carpentry of Things)
‘This brilliant and exhilarating work is a forensic journey across the surface territories of the Middle East and into the depth of its sub-terrain. The earth is produced as a living artifact, gutted and hollowed out by nomadic war tactics, the practices of extreme archaeology and the logic of petroleum extraction. Inventing a radical new language and reconceptualizing the relationship between religion, geology, and ways of war, Reza Negarestani philosophically ungrounds thus the very grounds of contemporary middle-east politics.’ (Eyal Weizman, author of Hollow Land)
- Negarestani, R, 2008 Cyclonopedia: Complicity with Anonymous Materials Re.Press
- Negarestani, R, GAS: the Necronomicon of Deleuze, R. N., Unpublished.
- Negarestani, R 2012 The Mortiloquist. Urbanomics. Forthcoming May
- Negarestani, R 2002 Pestis Solidus: On the Economy of Pseudo-flux, Cold-me. <http://www.cold-me.net/text/pestis.pdf>
- Negarestani, R “Conversation with Nick Land” in Homo.stasis: conversations, unpublished.
- Negarestani, R (ed.) 2011, ‘Culinary Materialism’ Collapse: Journal of Philosophical Research and Development VII: (Spring-Summer 2011), Urbannomics. <http://www.urbanomic.com/Publications/Collapse-7/PDFs/C7_Mackay_Negarestani.pdf >
- Ayache, E Negarestani, R Thomas Dane Gallery, Mackay, R Poole, M. 2011, The Medium of Contingency, Ridinghouse
- Lacagnina, S Negarestani, R Rosenkranz, P 2010 Our sun. Mousse Publishing
- Land, N 1992 The Thirst for Annihilation: Georges Bataille and Virulent Nihilism, Routledge, London & New York
- Negarestani, R, Eliminative Culinarism blog <http://blog.urbanomic.com/cyclon/>
- Credo Mutwa Website <http://credomutwa.com/about/>
- Mutwa, C V Larsen, S & Teish, L 2003 Zulu shaman: dreams, prophecies, and mysteries. Destiny Books
- Nxumalo, K 2007 The House of Credo Mutwa, film, SABC International <http://www.chimurenga.co.za/page-102.html>
- Bakunin, M A & Shatz, M 1990 Statism and anarchy. Cambridge University Press, London <http://books.google.co.za/books?id=ffXU01KzRNQC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false>
- Bakunin, M A 2004 Marxism, Freedom And The State. Kessinger Publishing <http://books.google.co.za/books?id=iNTcUsu1KbkC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false>
- Crowley, A. 1987 The book of the law: (technically called Liber al vel legis sub figura CCXX as delivered by XCIII), Samuel Weiser
- Buckminster, R Fuller, K Hays, M Miller, D & Picon, A. 2008 Buckminster Fuller: starting with the universe. Whitney Museum of American Art, in association with Yale University Press, Conneticut
- Ghyka, M. 2004 The Geometry of Art and Life 1946. Kessinger Publishing, Montana <http://books.google.co.za/books?id=vgq2UNsV9swC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false>
- Koontz, D R 2010 Breathless. Bantam Books
- Blatty, W P. 2006, The exorcist III, Film, Warner Bros. Entertainment, California
- Heaney, S 2001 Beowulf: a new verse translation. W.W. Norton & Co.
- Muyanga, N, Neosong Blog <http://www.neosong.net>